It’s a pretty good day to confuse old people with the internet. Earlier the internet turned squatting into a fad, and now they raised $10,000 for charity by making 90s pop band Smash Mouth eat two dozen eggs.
It started as a joke on Something Awful, one of the older, more stately stupid-humor forums. Writer Jon Hendren (aka Johnny “DocEvil” Titanium) offered $20 to Smash Mouth bandleader Steve Harwell to “Please, eat the eggs. Eat the eggs all up.” SA readers matched Harwell’s offer on Twitter. Harwell said he’d do it if people raised $10,000 for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. And today they met that goal. (DISCLOSURE: I chipped in $5.)
- Harwell wants guy Fieri to cook the eggs.
- Harwell: “I’m also a big reality TV fan and I love all the food shows especially ‘Man vs. Food’ so this intrigued me in that way also.”
- On the official Causes page: “Positions: Smash Mouth should eat 24 eggs for the kids.”
- Jon Hendren’s Twitter account that saved the children: @fart.
- Smash Mouth’s Wikipedia page: “Years active: 1994-present.”
- Respect now given by @fart to Steve Harwell: None.
Photo by BluesyGuy on TwitPic